Saturday, May 9, 2009
White Bean Bruschetta with a lemon zing (Low Cal)
1 (8-ounce) long loaf Italian bread
1 can(s) (15- to 19-ounce) white kidney beans (cannellini), rinsed and drained
1 tablespoon(s) olive oil
1/4 teaspoon(s) salt
1/8 teaspoon(s) coarsely ground pepper
1 tablespoon(s) chopped fresh parsley leaves
1 teaspoon(s) chopped fresh parsley leaves
2 clove(s) garlic, each cut in half
1. Prepare charcoal fire or preheat gas grill for direct grilling over medium heat.
2. Meanwhile, slice bread diagonally into 1/2-inch-thick slices; reserve ends for making bread crumbs another day.
3. From lemon, grate 1/2 teaspoon peel and squeeze 1 tablespoon juice. In medium bowl, with fork, lightly mash beans with lemon juice and peel, oil, salt, pepper, and 1 tablespoon parsley.
4. Place bread slices on grill rack and cook 2 to 3 minutes or until lightly toasted on both sides. Rub 1 side of each toast slice with cut side of garlic.
5. Just before serving, top garlic-rubbed side of toast with bean mixture and sprinkle with remaining 1 teaspoon parsley.