Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Crocked Baked Beans & Cabbage

This recipe was given to me by my friend Kathleen (Kitty) and had mentioned it often in our telephone conversations. I admit I was skeptical, as Baked Beans and Cabbage did not really strike the right culinary chord with me.....nonetheless, the more I heard her speak of it, the more interested I became in trying it. This recipe calls for 2 lbs of crispy bacon....so it isn't for the calorie counter!

It's very simple to make and my son and husband consumed an entire crockpot of this concoction in one weekend! So I have added it to my winter cook list! Thanks Kitty!

Ingredients:

2 large cans of Bush's Original Baked Beans
1 large head of Cabbage (cooked until tender)
1 onion
2 lbs bacon
1/4 cup drippings from pan
1 cup (reserved) cabbage broth

Fry bacon in skillet and remove, add onion and saute until caramelized.
Combine all ingredients together into crock pot and cook slow.

Serve with Cornbread

No comments: