Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Deb's Special Sauce

1 cup Hellman's Mayo
1/4 cup Chili Sauce
1/4 cup Ketchup
1 teaspoon prepared mustard
1/2 cup Vegetable oil
Dash of Worcestershire Sauce
1 teaspoon black pepper
2 tsp Paprika
2 tsp onion powder
2 tsp garlic powder

Combine all ingredients in a mason jar, cover, shake and put it in the fridge!

Of course, there is a story behind this sauce and it originated in my Dad's restaurant in Greensboro. It all started when I wanted something other than ketchup for my french fries, and out of frustration, began concocting a mixture of mayo, ketchup, garlic and paprika. It wasn't long before it caught on with others in my family, especially my neices and nephews, and some of the Nuckles' clientele.
Some time later, while dining at a cajun restaurant, I experienced Crayfish i.e., Crawdad's, those little miniature lobsters.. for the first time, and the dipping sauce that accompanied them, was very similar to my sauce.

As time passed, I improvised it somewhat, experimenting with the addition of onions, lemon juice, Worcestershire and mustard. So play with this recipe and adjust according to your taste. Use it on Hamburgers, Hoagies, Salads...and of course, French Fries!

No comments: